Macaws are one of the most famous species from parrot’s family. They are colorful and brilliant and are man’s favorite pen since forever. Macaws are big in size and it’s difficult to take care of them. However, they are very loyal and playful creatures and can possess a number of interesting habits and have interesting facts. Some of those interesting facts about Macaws are:
- They’re the largest of their kind: there are almost four hundred different species of parrots on Earth and Macaws are the largest of them all. They generally weight 2-5 pounds, the largest one of them ‘the Hyacinth Macaw’ can grow up to 4 feet long (measuring from beak to tail) they also have a wingspan of 60 inches.
- Macaws can live up to 80 years: some species of Macaw like Blue and Gold can live, on average of 60 years but in some instances if properly taken care of; they can live up to 80 years. People who are adopting them should make sure that they can take care of these parrots properly.
- There are many varieties of Macaws: there are many types of Macaws; big and small. As we already know that Hyacinth Macaw is the largest ones; the Mini Macaws are the smallest Macaws and they are only 12 inches long.
- You can breed different types of Macaws: many people who trade birds (especially Macaws) are expert in breeding hybrid Macaws like Catalina Macaws, Camelot Macaws, and Harlequin Macaws, etc. people who own Macaws also are aware of how to breed them and know which top macaw cages are ideal for these macaws because they are not habitats of nature, rather breed in captivity.
- They’re strong: some Macaws are so strong that they can even crack a coconut’s shell. Hyacinth Macaw even though is the largest parrots but are still called ‘gentle giants’ (but their size says something else). Some Macaws also have powerful and sleek beaks which can be used as a defense and in hormonal behaviors in their natural habitat. Their beaks are so powerful that they can chew wood if they find any and can cause total destruction to the wood.
These were a few interesting facts about Macaws. People who buy and keep Macaws and other Cute Parrots should keep in mind that these birds need socialization or else they get bored. This is why they are recommended to people who have studied about them or at least have experience with parrots beforehand.