Pet Care

5 Toxic Foods to Avoid Giving Your Pets – Food Guide for Animals

Like all pet owners know, our furry friends will eat just about anything. It’s like are you an animal or a vacuum cleaner?  These 5 foods are absolutely toxic for cats and dogs, and if you suspect your pets accidentally ate some, take them to the vet right away.

5 Toxic Foods to Avoid Giving Your Pets

Alcohol

Our pets can’t have any alcoholic beverage, not even a sip of beer. It is highly toxic for them and it can lead to: diarrhea, vomiting, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death. Keep your eyes wide opened when you have a party at your house, because someone could spill some vine and your cat or dog could lick it. It is especially dangerous for smaller pets. If this happens, take your pet to veterinary clinic immediately.

Chocolate and Coffee

Chocolate contains chemical substance called theobromine, while coffee contains caffeine, both highly poisonous to our pets. So try to keep chocolate and coffee out of your pet’s reach, because symptoms they’ll be experiencing if they ate some are: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, tremors, seizures, hurried heart rate and body collapse. And to think this all could have been prevented if you’ve been just tiny bit more careful with where you leave your food at.

Grapes and Raisins

For some reason, not yet known grapes and raisins are extremely toxic for dogs. Eating them can lead to kidney failure, in some cases even death. There is not much information about grape toxicity in cats, but since they are this harmful for dogs, I would keep grape away from my kitty cat too. Here are other symptoms your pets will experience if they had this fruit: appetite loss, lethargy, vomiting and/or diarrhea, stomach pain, dehydration, unusual thirst, uncontrollable body shaking.

Find Best Guinea Pig Food.

Onions

Onions are very dangerous for our pets. Every type of onion and every layer of it are highly toxic for them. It doesn’t matter whether it’s cooked or raw. It takes very small amount of this vegetable to poison your cat or dog. Most common symptoms of onion poisoning are: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, panting and collapse. So when you feed your pet with leftovers from your dinner, make sure you know every ingredient that’s been put in it. Like with previous examples, if you suspected your pet had any kind of onion take him to the vet immediately.

Raw or Undercooked Meat and Bones

Contamination is the biggest issue with this one, since raw meat could potentially contain harmful bacteria called Salmonella. And not to mention even if your dog or cat are able to somehow resist this bacteria, they then become it’s carriers and spread them through their feces and  this can cause serious illness in humans. Symptoms of Salmonella infestation in our pets are: diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite or anorexia, lethargy, increased heart rate, fever, depression, miscarriage in pregnant pets.

Final Verdict

Like I already mentioned, all these foods pose more danger to smaller dogs or cats. But that doesn’t mean that it’s not extremely dangerous for all dogs. It is important to react right away and take your pet to the vet as soon as possible. But it is far better solution is to prevent this from happening by keeping pet toxic food out of their reach.